Map Search

Map Search

0.1 km
Search

The Prudhoe Gleemen Male Voice Choir was founded in the year 1903 in the nearby village of Wylam. The first practice was attended by eight members of the local Methodist Church and took place in a field adjacent to the church. The first conductor was the local butcher Tom Leathard and his daughter was the accompanist.

After some eight years during which time the choir built up its numbers and its reputation it moved to its present home of Prudhoe and the role of conductor was taken over by Harry Harland. He was to lead the choir on to some of its most spectacular successes for the next forty years. Retiring in 1951 Mr Harland was succeeded by Bob Hull another fine local musician who carried on the tradition of longevity retiring in 1981.

Colin Smith a choir member since 1969 and deputy conductor since 1975 then took over leadership of the choir. During his time the choir continued to flourish as he shared his knowledge and enjoyment of music. In 2006 Colin felt the time had come to hand over the reigns to a younger man and so Mike Summers came to be appointed as only the fifth conductor of Prudhoe Gleemen in 103 years. A relatively young man in terms of the average age of choir members Mike has an impressive musical background in both performance and conducting and he has brought his own distinctive style to the choir.

In summer 2012, Mike moved on to another appointment and was succeeded by Judith Thompson, from Prudhoe, as Musical Director. Judith has a rich grounding in music; as a singer, both chorally and as a soloist; as a singing teacher, conductor and vocal coach; and as an arranger.

Address

Our Address:

Prudhoe Methodist Church, West Road, Prudhoe, Northumberland

Ask Questions